Arizona - New Booster Seat Law in 2012
- Arizona House Bill 2154 was signed by the Governor on May 9, 2012.
- According to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) the new law is effective August 20, 2012.
- The new law mandates booster seats for children who are at least 5 years old but younger than 8, and no taller than 4-foot-9 inches tall.
Arizona Car Seat Laws
- In the State of Arizona all children under the age of five (5) must be secured with a federally approved child safety seat or device.
Infant and Booster Seat General Guidelines
- Infants from birth to twenty (20) pounds or one (1) year of age should be secured in a rear facing infant seat or convertible child seat
- Infants placed in a rear facing child safety seat should never be placed in the front seat of a vehicle with an active front air bag.
- Never use household infant carriers or other infant carriers that are not federally approved as an infant car seat.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and height and weight limits of child safety seats.
- Convertible Car Seats can be used as a rear facing car seat until the infant reaches the age of one (1) and weighs twenty (20) pounds.
- After the child reaches the age of one (1) and weighs twenty (20) pounds the convertible car seat can be turned forward and placed in the upright position in the rear seat of the vehicle.
- Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and weight and height requirements for the convertible car seat.
- Once the child out grows the convertible car seat or weighs forty (40) pounds the child can be placed in a booster seat.
- Booster seats with no back and high back booster seats must be used with a lap and shoulder belt combination unless the booster seat is purchased with a harnesses that secure to the vehicle seat with a lap belt.
- In the State of Arizona each front seat occupant must have a seat belt fastened when the vehicle is in motion.
- If the vehicle has a lap and shoulder belt combination it must be fastened by all occupants of the front seat.
- The driver of a vehicle will be cited for each individual passenger under the age of sixteen (16) that is not properly restrained in the front seat of the vehicle.
Source Link for this Page
Other Arizona Laws