Colorado Car Seat Laws
In the State of Colorado all children under the age of eight (8) must be secured in a child safety seat when traveling in a motor vehicle.
The Colorado Child Passenger Safety Law
- Children weighing less than twenty (20) pounds must be secured in a rear facing car seat in the back seat of the vehicle.
- Safety advocates recommend keeping infants in a rear facing seat as long as possible.
- Please refer to the seat manufactures instructions for height and weight limits.
- Children may be placed in rear or forward facing car seats.
- If you are transporting a child in a car seat please follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for height and weight limits.
- Safety advocates recommend securing your child in a 5-Point harness until they are forty (40) pounds or to the upper weight limit recommended by the car seat manufacturer.
- As mentioned above it is safest to keep your child in a rear facing car seat in the back seat of the vehicle for as long as recommended by the car seat manufacturer.
- Children should be placed in a forward facing car seat or booster seat.
- Please refer to the manufacturer’s reference to the height and weight limits for the booster seat and child seat.
- Safety advocates recommend securing your child in a booster or car seat until they reach the height of fifty-seven (57) inches (four (4) feet, nine (9) inches tall).
- Children should be secured in a booster seat or a lap and shoulder belt.
- Always follow the upper weight limit recommended by the booster or car seat manufacturer.
- Safety advocates say that the child should be able to sit back with knees bent naturally at the edge of the seat.
- The shoulder belt should comfortably cross the shoulder between the neck and arm and the lap belt should sit low on the hips touching the thighs.
- It is highly recommended that children under the age of thirteen remain in the back seat of the vehicle.
Colorado Seat Belt Laws
- The State of Colorado requires that a fastened safety belt must be worn in all vehicles that were manufactured with factory equipped safety belt systems.
- This includes the driver, front seat passenger and all children between the ages of eight (8) and sixteen (16) seated in any position in the vehicle.
- Children under the age of eight (8) fall under the Colorado Child Passenger Safety Law listed above.
Source Links for this Page